If you told me 10 years ago that I’d be a solopreneur, public speaker, have a pierced nose, be coaching people to sleep, teaching yoga, & living in an old house with an orchard out back, I’m sorry, but I’d have thought you were crazy. But that’s what happened.
Between 1994-2013 I worked in gray, cubicle-dwelling hi-tech roles. I was a web developer in the early days of the Internet, then a technical writer helping people understand how to use it. Eventually I used my M.S. in Human Factors from Bentley University to arrive as a user experience design manager / director.
Here I experienced burnout before it was a clinical diagnosis. Bouts of lifelong insomnia got worse. Anxious, stressed & overwhelmed, I fell into a dark depression. Binge-eating became a compulsion & I couldn’t stop, though I desperately wanted to. Just as I was healing from these experiences, I suffered from severe physical pain with no apparent cause. Two years after medical appointments became my new full-time job, I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease.
The help I received from traditional modalities was adequate when removed from my day-to-day world, but wasn’t enough when I had to get back to my life. It also lacked permanence.
Yoga was my foundation; wellness coaching, a natural complement.
It was through this combination of trainings, which I enrolled in to help myself, where I discovered a me underneath the “type A”, high-achiever perfectionist who was suffering so much.
I specialize in sleep because it’s the foundation of a healthy & vibrant life. My sleep wellness coaching program works because I skillfully apply techniques from both wellness coaching & Yoga Therapy.*
Both are natural, holistic, & never prescriptive: they meet you where you’re at & move you forward in a sustainable way. I believe current treatments for our culture’s ongoing battle with insomnia are missing the mark; sometimes even doing more harm than good.Learn Why Sleep Wellness Coaching is Different
When I was young, I wanted to be a writer.
If you’ve seen my Busy Person’s Guide to Better Sleep blog, you’ll see I’m prolific!
I enjoy writing so much I make it part of how I help people. I’ve been featured in:
What else should you know about me?
I didn’t grow up here, but Boston is my home. I’ve been a competitive West Coast Swing dancer and an ESL teacher. I’m a cat person who grew up with Doctor Who. I’ve become a foodie.
I combine my education, training, & years of experience to help busy people like you navigate the delicate balance between high productivity, quality sleep, & optimal energy.LET’S TALK
* The Yoga Therapy components of my instruction are based on this training, and are not derived from my status as an E-RYT with Yoga Alliance Registry.
Health & Wellness Coaching Certifications
* Health & Wellness Coach (CHWC)
* Personal Coach (CPC) – WellCoaches
* Sleep Science Coach (CSSC) – Spencer Institute (Coaching division of the National Exercise & Sports Trainers Association (NESTA))
* Mind-body Eating / Eating Psychology Coach – Institute for the Psychology of Eating (Colorado Department of Higher Education – Division of Private Occupational Schools)
Therapeutic Yoga & Meditation Credentials
* 500-hour Hatha Yoga Teacher w/ specialization in Yoga as Therapy* – YogaYoga (an IAYT-recognized program)
* 200-hour Kripalu Yoga Teacher @ Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
* Experienced-Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT500) – Yoga Alliance
Formal Education & Corporate Background
* Former User Experience Design Manager / Director @ Boston-area software companies including Mathworks, BEA Systems (now Oracle), & Streambase (now Tibco)
* M.S. in Human Factors in Information Design, Bentley University; B.S. Computer Science / Technical Writing
* Frontiers of Trauma Treatment – with Bessel Van der Kolk
* Usui Reiki Master & Teacher
* Adult First Aid / CPR / AED